In celebration of National Walking the Dog Day, we’re giving you 5 reasons why you should walk your pup EVERY day!
1. Dogs need an outlet to release their tremendous amounts of energy. Too much built-up energy can result in destructive behavior or separation anxiety. Taking your pooch for a 20-30 minute walk every day is not only good for their physical and mental health, but will also help spend their energy in a productive way. Learn more about the health benefits of an active dog.
2. Walking your dog is an excellent training activity. Using the proper methods, this exercise can reinforce the bond between you and your dog. Make sure to be in control during the walk, as this will help establish you as the alpha dog in the relationship.
3. Dogs have natural roaming and exploring instincts. Walking fulfills this need by providing mental and physical stimulation. Your pooch will be exposed to a variety of sights, sounds, and smells, and exploring these will give your dog a sense of purpose and accomplishment.
4. Dogs are social animals, and it is believed that humans were able to domesticate them due to their social nature. That’s why it is imperative that your pet be properly socialized. Going for walks will help your dog learn how to interact with other dogs and people in your neighborhood.
5. Best of all, walking will keep your dog healthy and happy for longer. It will also enforce healthier habits in your own life. What could be better than exercising for 20-30 minutes with your best friend?!
Today we challenge you to take your dog for a long walk. Do you notice any immediate benefits of their health or behavior? Let us know in the comment section below!