Photo via German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California Facebook
A little over a year ago, 80-year-old Jack Farrell adopted Max, a German Shepherd who was looking for a home. Little did Jack know that his furry friend would one day save his life.
That day came a few weeks ago, when in the middle of the night Max began acting strangely. As it turns out, the wall heater in their home malfunctioned and was rapidly filling the house with carbon monoxide and natural gas. Max tried to wake his owner to no avail.
German Shepherd to the Rescue!
Desperate, the courageous pup grabbed onto Jack’s arm and dragged him out of the bed and into the kitchen.“Out here in the kitchen, I finally woke up wondering what was going on because he had hold of my arm.” Jack told KPIX 5. Confused and bleeding from his arm he called 911.
When the authorities arrived, they found deadly levels of carbon monoxide. “We took a reading of the environment and found 75 parts per million. To put that into perspective, we don our breathing gear at 25 parts per million.” said Deputy Fire Chief Adam Brolan.
Thanks to Max’s canine instincts, both pet and owner were saved from a potentially deadly situation!
A little over a week ago, the animal world was rocked by the story of an elderly couple who, due to sickness and poverty, were forced to surrender their 13 year old dachshund to a local animal shelter outside of Los Angeles, California.
The couple left the pup in a basket outside of Baldwin Park Animal Shelter with a heartbreaking note, detailing how the dog was too sick for them to care for and that they were unable to pay for veterinary care. The dog had been suffering from bloody stool and vomiting, as well as an uncomfortable skin condition. The note closes, “He has never been away from us in all those years, he cannot function without us, please put him to sleep.”
Little did they know, what they thought would be the end of their dog’s life ended up being the beginning of a national news story.
Sacrifice Leads to a New Beginning
Instead of putting the dog to sleep, shelter workers called Leave No Paws Behind – an all breed, all foster based rescue that specializes in seniors, who rescued the dog and named him Harley. After a vet visit, it was determined that not only could Harley be treated, but he most likely had a “couple of more years” left in him, according to an update on the organization’s Facebook page.
The rescuers realized the little dog had been well-cared for and, according to the note, well loved, so they decided to try to reach out to the his former owners and set things right.
When the elderly couple came forward, they explained that they didn’t know where else to turn when Otto (Harley’s actual name) became ill. They had taken him to the vet, where they were told Otto would need costly tests in order to be diagnosed. When they realized they couldn’t even afford to have him euthanized, they were “hysterical,” and decided that leaving him at the shelter was the best course of action.
When contacted by local news station KTLA, one of the owners commented, “We just are living week to week… we can’t even go to the hospital to get our own treatment.”
Toby Wisneski, founder of Leave No Paws Behind provided the following statement regarding her decision to return the dog to his original owners:
“I do not believe that all humans who surrender their loving companions are bad people. What I have come to realize is that some, and there are a few, fall on hard and difficult times, loss of jobs, senior and elderly folks who are sick and need help, loss of homes etc. etc. I also believe that they are not aware that there is help out there for their beloved pets and we are hoping to be able to get that message to them. If Harley’s humans come forward, we will speak with them, do our standard home check AND if we find that they are indeed loving, kind and genuinely care for sweet Harley, which we do believe, and the only issue is help with medical care and basic needs for him, yes, we will reunite them!”
What do you think? Should Otto Be Returned To His Owners?
This video of Sophie, the English Bulldog puppy, rolling down a hill was too cute for us not to share! Just 2-months old, this little ball of whimsy stunned her owners with her unique hill-rolling tendencies. Her strange behavior was unveiled one day like any other, on a routine trip out for Sophie to do her business. Her parents placed her on the ground outside, but instead of relieving herself, she decided it would be more fun to tumble down the hill.
Initially somewhat worried, Sophie’s mom Kathryn contacted the breeder to find if her puppy’s odd behavior was normal.She learned that Sophie’s fur mommy liked to roll down hills too — like mother, like daughter! Check out the video here.
Looks like Sophie is ready for spring. How about you?
A few days ago, an agreement was made between pet supply companies and the EPA promising to stop production and distribution of pet collars containing the active ingredient propoxur. Companies like Zodiac, BioSpot, Sentry, and Bansect have all promised to halt all manufacturing of any product containing this chemical by April 2016.
As it stands, these companies are going to continue marketing and selling the remainder of their inventory. The continued sale of propoxur-based drugs is due to the fact that, even though the product has been determined to be potentially harmful to people (predominantly children), the effects of this chemical have been deemed minor enough not to warrant an actual recall.
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
For those out there currently using propoxur-based flea and tick control, this is not a cause for alarm. Your pets are just fine with continued use of these types of products (hence them not being recalled). Just make sure to always follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter, and that any small children be kept away from your pet a day or two after first putting on the collar. Also, any direct skin contact with the collar should be washed off with soap and hot water.
That being said, it is probably a good time to consider switching to a non-propoxur flea and tick repellent. There are plenty of other options on the market — even some in the same collar form — and since we know now that propoxur-based treatments are going to halt in production before too long, the time is right for getting your pet’s body accustomed to receiving a different type of flea and tick protection.
Most importantly, don’t let the discontinuation of this particular product steer you away from flea and tick medications as a whole. Flea and ticks, along with the myriad diseases they carry, are still a much bigger threat to your pet’s health than any medication-derived problem you might be fretting over.
Spring is almost here – don’t leave your pet exposed.
This week is Poison Prevention Awareness Week, so we’re testing your knowledge of the dangerous substances that might be around your home. Did you know that certain foods, chemicals, and even plants can be toxic to pets? Find out which ones!