Image Credit – Pixabay.com/
With the downfall of the economy and the disappearance of jobs, pet owners are beginning to forego healthcare since they cannot afford the costly vet bills. While a yearly examination is absolutely essential, you can do away with a lot of the unnecessary procedures and tests by making sure that your pet is healthy throughout the year. Not only will it save you a lot of money, it will also extend the health and longevity of your pet.
- Invest in good quality food – Choosing a high quality pet food is the best way to ensure the long term health of your pet. It will eliminate most of the problems like gastrointestinal troubles, allergies, diabetes, obesity and other food related ailments. Yes, you will be spending a bit more time selecting the food, but at the end of the day, it will save you hundreds of dollars.
- Avoid obesity – Obese pets suffer from a number of costly conditions like high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes and kidney problems. You need to make sure that you feed the correct portion to your pet if you want to curb excess weight gain and keep them away from the veterinarian.
- Avoid risky treats – A lot of the treats tend to get lodged in the esophagus, intestines, stomach or trachea of pets. Make sure you avoid treats like pig’s feet, rawhide chews and other chews that are hard and do not dissolve properly.
- Brush their teeth – Pets tend to suffer from a lot of dental problems and owners should brush their pets’ teeth daily if they want to avoid a costly trip to the vet in the future. Use a soft toothbrush with good quality pet toothpaste. Gum and tooth disease can lead to infection, loss of teeth, pain and organ damage.
- Eye and ear care – Keeping the eyes of your pet clean will contribute to their wellness and health by preventing infection and irritation, which can be painful and cause loss of vision. Careful inspection and diligent cleaning once a week will open up the clogged ducts and prevent infections. It is also a good idea to clean their ears once a week with natural ear wash.
- Flea control – Fleas are an expensive problem. They cause itching and acute moist dermatitis. Your pets can also get infected with intestinal tapeworms. There are a number of topical flea products that are excellent at ridding your pet of fleas. If you want a more natural approach, use an herbal dip containing citronella and other essential oils that aid in flea control.
- Exercise – Pets enjoy the same health benefits as people from regular exercise. You can try exercising with our pet. It will be a fun activity for both of you.