Image source: Pixabay.com
Cats can make wonderful pet companions, but they also require care and love to be happy. Some breeds of cats need more care than other breeds. If you plan to adopt a cat, the requirements of caring for the cat might be different. Are you planning to get your first cat home? Are you unsure what your new pet needs? Do you want to understand how to prepare yourself and your home for the cat before you get it home?
What do cats need to be happy and comfortable?
- Safe areas to hide and play: Your cat must feel safe in your house to be comfortable. Ensure that there are some boxes or other cozy spaces where the cat can hide if it feels threatened and or scared. The cat may also use these safe areas to play and be mischievous.
- Clean food and water bowls: Cats are clean animals and will not eat or drink if their feeding bowls are dirty. Wash their food and water bowls regularly. Set up a water bowl that has flowing water, if possible, as cats prefer flowing water to still water for drinking.
- Catproofing: If you live in a city or in a place that has a lot of vehicles or dogs, it is best to keep your cat indoors. Catproof your home so that your cat cannot escape and get lost or injure itself outdoors. Catproofing includes sealing small gaps in fixed windows, ensuring sliding windows are locked, and doors are not left open.
- Regular grooming: Most cats love to be brushed and groomed. Ensure that you groom your cat regularly. Grooming includes occasional baths, brushing, and trimming claws and fur.
- Regular playtime: Cats are playful animals and need to be kept engaged to avoid boredom and lethargy. Playing also keeps your cat healthy and avoids obesity and other related problems. Take time out regularly to play and be with your cat.
As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to ensure your cat gets ample love and care from you so that it feels loved and happy in your home.
Tips to make you home perfect for your cat
- Keep your home clean and free of loud noises.
- Give your cat toys to play with so it is not bored.
- Ensure your home is a quiet and peaceful place for the cat.
- Clean the litter tray regularly and ensure there is enough litter in the tray at all times.
- Spend some time every day playing and talking to your cat.
Cats can be extremely loving animals if given the right care and environment. Plan well and prepare your home well before your bring your cat home so that there are no last-minute surprises.