Image Source: pixabay.com
Allergic or anaphylactic shock occurs when allergic reactions take a serious turn and affect gastrointestinal and respiratory systems. The reaction is instant and can range from minor to severe.
An allergic reaction occurs when the body’s immune system responds to a foreign substance usually known as an allergen. These allergens can come from any source – food, water, air, earth etc. The immune system comprises of cells which attack and kill the allergens. But this also leads to a cascade of reactions that ultimately manifest to a physical form like rashes or boils.
Allergic shocks can become life threatening if left untreated. Owners must therefore be cautious in the case of a sudden allergic shock. It is very important to understand the causes, effects, symptoms and treatment methods available for allergic shocks.
The following symptoms are usually associated with allergic shocks and should be taken seriously. Sometimes, more than one of the symptoms will occur simultaneously.
Itching or redness at affected area
Noisy and rapid breathing
Almost any substance can be termed allergen if it compromises the immune system. From peanuts to oils to flowers, different dogs exhibit allergic shock to different substances. But the most common one comes from food. Which is why veterinary doctors often advise owners to stick to regular dog food instead of home cooked food.
Currently, no method exists that can accurately determine which dog will be vulnerable to which allergen. It comes from experience and sometimes takes a lifetime to figure out which substances cause allergic shock. In most cases, nothing will happen. In any case, a dog must be immediately rushed to a hospital during an allergic attack.
No one treatment method works for every dog with allergic shock. In most cases, a vaccine works but only after the allergen has been discovered. Epinephrine and antihistamines are also given to treat the allergy. Sometimes, vets may prescribe the use of an Epipen which is a single shot of adrenaline and can be administered during another similar attack. Close monitoring of the dog after administration of the drug is required to understand more about the cause and effect.
In case of any type of allergic attack, owners must be prepared to take their dog to the vet. Often, a matter of seconds is the determining factor between a minor attack and a major attack.
Allergic shock can occur due to a variety of reasons but usually happens due to allergens. A dog owner must look for symptoms associated with allergic shocks and take necessary steps. A trip to the vets clinic is absolutely necessary before things go out of hand.