How To Identify Pet Poisoning

| 0 comments

Image Source: Pixabay.com

There are many things that are a potential threat to our pets. Things in our house and in our garden can sometimes poison our beloved furry friends. Knowing the symptoms of pet poisoning could help you to save your pet someday.

Here Are A Few Things That Can Be Fatal To Your Pets:

  • People medications – although some medications are harmless, most of them are not supported by your pet’s anatomy.
  • Flea and tick products – getting rid of fleas are important but try using non-toxic, natural products to do it.
  • People food – although a lot of foods are safe, there are a few that can be quite harmful to your pets. i.e., chocolate, alcohol, avocados, macadamia nuts, raisins, grapes, xylitol etc.
  • Pet medications – just like how sometimes people medications can hurt more than they help people, pets sometimes experience the same effect with pet medicines.
  • Household plants – there are many plants that are especially fatal for cats and dogs. Some of these include sago palms, daffodils and tulips, and rhododendrons and azaleas.

Symptoms Of Pet Poisoning

  1. Loss of appetite
    In most cases, a pet’s loss of appetite is the first signal that can indicate many illnesses. If your pet isn’t interested in eating his favorite snacks or regular meals, and shows other symptoms, contact your vet immediately.
  2. Vomiting
    Vomiting usually happens because of problems in the digestive systems. His vomit might or might not contain traces of blood. Anyway, make sure you take a sample with you when you visit the dentist. Your vet may be able to determine exactly what it was that caused the vomiting by inspecting the sample. He can then prescribe treatment accordingly.
  3. Drooling
    This can usually indicate to multiple things. Drooling usually indicates nausea and is not a major cause for concern unless your pet is drooling excessively or showing other symptoms. Call your vet immediately if this is the case.
  4. Diarrhea
    Diarrhea during poisoning is usually caused by the excess water in your dog’s body that’s trying to flush out the toxins from his system. There may be significant color changes in the stool ranging from black to green. There may even be blood depending on whether he has internal bleeding or not.
  5. Rash
    This is usually a common symptom when the toxin has entered through your pet’s skin. The rash is just the skin’s reaction to the toxin. You may notice:
  • Fluid-filled blisters
  • Continuous itching
  • Red and irritated skin
  • Swelling

These are the 5 most common symptoms of pet poisoning. Other symptoms can include lethargy, momentary loss of coordination, labored breathing, seizures or tremors, sensitivity to lights, unconsciousness, the beginning of organ failure, coma, non-responsive behavior, and even death.

Try to identify the toxin if possible, and take him to the vet immediately.