Image Source: Pixabay.com
Many people lead hectic lives, even when they are at home. Sometimes, it feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day to accomplish everything important to you. More often than not, it’s our canine companions who get the short end of the stick when we’re caught up with work and errands. Dogs have been observed to take on our worry and tension onto themselves. If you catch your dog displaying any of the following signs, it might be time to spend a little more time with your doggo.
- Your dog is sleeping more than he usually does – It is normal and even healthy for dogs to sleep more than humans. However, if you notice your buddy is spending a lot more time napping than he usually does, it might be time for you to step in and shower him/her with some much-needed love. Set aside some time each day so that your dog has something to look forward to.
- Your dog is gaining weight – Some dog mums and dads think that treats are a substitute for neglecting their dog’s physical and mental needs. Try patting your dog on the head or showering him/her with affection instead of giving him/her a snack the next time you feel guilty for not spending enough time with him/her.
- Your dog seems blue – Many people don’t know that dogs, just like humans, can get depressed. Our lives are so stressful that we try to de-stress by using our smartphones, tablets and computer. This results in less playtime for your dog. Signs of a depressed dog include but aren’t limited to a disinterest in food or play, destructive behavior, sudden household accidents and so on. Leave your device at home and take your dog on a long walk somewhere to spend some quality time with him/her.
- Your dog has overgrown nails – Trimming a dog’s nails is a part of a regular, healthy grooming routine. Overgrown nails are a sign of neglect. If you exercise your dog regularly, the pavement usually keeps their nails in check for a bit longer than normal. If you notice your buddy’s nails are longer than usual, it might be time for a trim and some exercise.
- Your dog is disobedient – Dogs have a natural need to please their humans. If your dog is acting out and not obeying you, it’s a sign that you need to spend more time with him/her. Some breeds are more independent than others. For those independent ones, you need to learn what gets his/her attention.
If you’re worried you aren’t spending enough time with your dog, it’s time to get off the computer and play with him/her. Your dog might be a small part of your life, but you are the biggest part of his/her life.