Image Credit: Pixabay
The world is filled with exotic animals of a different color, different size, and shape. Out of all the exotic animals is the cat, majestic and fearless. Almost every breed of cat is unique in its own way, but only a few breeds are unique, as well as exotic. They are not just the cat you will find next door, but the classy kitten that you don’t see everywhere.
- Birman, popularly known as the ‘Sacred Cat of Burma’, is distinguished by its deep blue eye, silky coat, and contrasting white ‘gloves’ on each paw.
- Japanese Bobtail has an unusual bobbed tail resembling the tail of a rabbit. It is native to Japan and Southeast Asia but now found throughout the world. They appear in Japanese traditional folklore and art for centuries.
- Lykoi is a word that comes from a Greek word, which means ‘wolf’. It is a fitting name as Lykoi kittens lack hair on their underbellies, around their eyes, nose, and muzzles and look just like baby werewolves.
- Maine Coon, the largest domesticated breed of cats, is one of the oldest natural breeds in North America. It is the official state cat of Maine where its origins lie. The cat possesses valuable hunting skills and distinguishing physical appearance, making it one of the most popular breeds in the world.
- Manx is a breed of domestic cat that originated on the Isle of Man. It has a naturally occurring mutation that shortens its tail, making it a unique, entirely tailless cat, its most distinguishing character.
- Russian Blue is believed to have originated from the Archangel Isles of northern Russia. Russian Blue is a short-haired cat with blue-gray plush coat. These cats typically have green eyes. They are relatively very quiet and warm up to people very quickly.
- Scottish Fold is a breed that owes its heritage to a barn cat named Susie who had ears that were folded downwards due to genetic mutation. Though they have a unique owl-like feature, they are notoriously affectionate.
- Siamese is one of the most exotic breeds of cats originating from Thailand. It is characterized by almond-shaped eyes, large ears, a triangular head shape, and a slender, muscular body. These are intelligent and playful breeds that enjoy a game of fetch.
- Sphynx is arguably the most bizarre-looking cat that is also extremely strong and surprisingly very rare to find. The lack of hair makes the Sphynx one of the most exotic and unique cats in the world.
- Turkish Van is a breed of cat unique for its Van pattern wherein the cat is white, and the color is restricted to the head and the tail. These eyes have blue or amber eyes, or even with heterochromia iridis.
Some of the other exotic and unique cat breeds include Siberian, Singapura, Somali, German Rex, Abyssinian, among few others.