Image Credits: Pixabay
Kittens suffer from more electrical shocks, but grown cats do not. This is as kittens are extremely curious and will chew anything and everything they fancy, including electric cords. If a kitten’s sharp teeth pierce the outer insulation and comes in contact with both the wires, then the kitty will receive a painful shock. It may not be able to release the cord. If you see your cat in such a position, disconnect the plug immediately or switch it off before touching the cat. In case you touch the cat without disconnecting the power supply, you will get an electrical shock too.
After you extricate the cat from its pitiable position, examine the animal as best as you can. A severe electrical shock may result in fluid accumulation in the lungs and also severe heart damage. , and you need to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as quickly as possible to restart the heart. Do look for signs of shock. These could be white or pale gums and rapid breathing. The heartbeat will be rapid too. There is also an even chance that the mouth of the cat could be burned due to contact with bare wires. It is a serious condition, and the cat must be taken to the veterinarian. The latter will treat it properly, and the area would turn normal after sometime.
If your cat has suffered from an electrical shock, then you should perform a few standard procedures to make your kitty playful and happy again. In case the electrical wire continues to dangle from the kitty’s mouth, turn off the main switch or unplug the wire from the socket. Do not touch the cat under any circumstance before you complete the preceding actions. Do remember that shock is an extremely serious condition. It is a massive injury which scares the body into an immobile object. It is essential that you should check every organ possible of your cat before you proceed into the next stage.
Looking for outward signs Check whether the cat is breathing. If you find the animal is not breathing, search for its heartbeat by positioning your fingers approximately one inch behind the elbow of the cat. Place fingers also in the center of the animal’s chest. Perform CPR, if the heart of the cat shows no sign of beating. If the kitty’s heart continues to bear, do perform artificial respiration. Observe the lips or mouth of the cat. They will be bright red if burned. Gently swab those body parts with three percent hydrogen peroxide. No other antiseptic is permissible in this context. Take the cat to the veterinarian as quickly as possible.